San E was this weeks Hot New Face in the Kpoppin studio with DJ Isak. San E (산이) is a solo artist with an R&B sound that debuted in 2010 under JYP Entertainment, but he moved to Brand New Music in 2013.
About the music::
For his debut song (맛 좋은 산) JYP wanted him to do a song even Ahjummas could rap along with. To inspire himself he would visit traditional Korean markets. He recently released his newest single 아는 사람 얘기 (the story of someone I know).this song was an easy writing process for him because he was really feeling the beat and the lyrics just came to him. He did not confirm or deny if this song is really about himself, or actually about someone he knows. San E has a very laid back rapping style. He tries to write his songs as if he is actually talking to you.
– He like comedy, and horror movies. His favorite comedy is Dumb & Dumber.
– When he is at a 노래방 and he wants to impress a girl he likes to sing a remix of a clickB song.
– To improve his ability to breathe while rapping he runs and raps at the same time
– He tries to always keep a positive prescription when looking at life and his career
– He wants to do a solo concert at some point in the future. He also wants to do a small performance back in his hometown of Atlanta.
– He moved to Atlanta, Georgia with his family when he was 14
– DJ Isak says he knows how to lie very well when flirting
Q & A::
Q: When did you decide you wanted to be a singer?
A: When he first moved to America his parents would let him listen to anything Korean because they wanted him to learn English faster. To solve this issue he borrowed a Drunken Tiger CD from his friend. After listening to the Cd a lot he thought to himself “I want to be like them.” he would pray every night to be able to make 1 studio album. He didn’t have to be famous, he just wanted the chance to make one CD.
Q: What girl groups do you like?
A: He considers MissA’s Min to be his good sister. He also mentioned Girl’s Day, Ladies Code, and Suzy.
Q: Are there any concepts you would like to try in the future?
A: He would like to do something similar to Eminem’s 8mile style.
Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
A: He sees himself with a beautiful wife and maybe two daughters. He also wants to keep making music.
Q: How did you get started with your career?
A: There was a video/audio file that he posted online and people liked it. Since he got a good response he sent a mix-tape to JYP New York, and they called him.
아는 사람 얘기 (story of someone I know)