Groovyroom was in the Kpoppin’ studio for Be My Super Star with DJ Isak. Groovyroom (그루비룸) is a producer team that debuted in 2015 under H1GHR Music (하이어뮤직).
Hwimin (이휘민) – Producer
Kyujung (박규정) – Maknae, Producer
– Both members are full time producers.
– They put their current EP together in 3 weeks. It has 2 title tracks; ‘Sunday’ & ‘어디쯤에.’
– ‘어디쯤에’ is about how you feel when you think a break up is near.
– When working on ‘Xindoshi’ they started looking at it visual before thinking about the actual song. They really wanted to video to be in face.
– They didn’t want to be in the ‘Sunday’ music video, because its such a sweet MV, but they are sitting with Jay Park during his part.
– They know all of each other little habits.
– When Hwimin shaves if he feels part of his beard is still there he will start picking at the hair to try, and pull them out.
– Kyujung shakes his leg a lot even in his sleep.
– When collaborating they give the other people a decent amount of freedom in terms of lyrics, but with a guidance of a set topic.
– Hwimin has always wanted to rap, but he say he’s not good at it.
– Kyujung has never though about adding his own vocals to their songs.
Q & A::
Q: What was the reason you decided to join H1GHR Music?
A: They really didn’t think about joining a label, because as producers they don’t really need representation. Then they wanted to start focusing on their own EPs. They decided on H1GHR Music because they wanted someone they trusted, and they trust Jay Park.
Q: How do you decide what goes on the EP?
A: It has to go to someone else, before they can focus. This EP is a collection of songs written for other people that didn’t make it on the other people’s albums, so they decided to keep for themselves.
The Barberettes were in the SuperKpop studio for Kpop Rising with DJ Sam. The Barberettes (바버렛츠) is a retro doo-wop indie trio that debuted in 2012 under Eggplant (에그플랜트).
Shinae (안신애 Wheeler) – Leader, Producer, Guitarist, Vocalist
Sunni (이선니) – Vocalist, Violinist, Flutist
Sohee (박소희) – Maknae, Vocalist, Pianist
– ‘Summer Love’ is a very cute, light and airy song.
– Shinae speaks almost fluent English. She is often translating for the members at interviews and such.
– ‘Shoo’ on the Barberettes Summer is written about Kang Daniel in Produce 101 when he had pink hair. Shinae fan girls very hard for him.
– Pizza is high on their list of favorite foods.
– Shinae eats the most. Currently her favorite food is Pho (Vietnamese noodle dish). Her favorite food changes frequently.
– When they first start the album process they have writing sessions. Sometimes they start from scratch with the piano all together. Sometimes Shinae writes the song and then they discuss the lyrics.
– International artist they would like to collaborate with Michael Buble, Bruno Mars, and any female performer from the 60s.
– Sunni like running and yoga. Shinae admires sports (watching others do sports).
Q & A::
Q: Can you please tell us about your tour?
A: They just cme back from an international tour which was split into 2 parts. The first part of the tour was US, England, Rome, Italy, Paris and other locations, and the second part of the tour was in Spain, and five different cities in France.
Q: Why did you pick the name Barberettes?
A: They wanted to practice the barber shop harmony. They put “ettes” to blend in with other groups from that time period. Also when females work at barber shops they are called Barberettes.
Q: Do you ever get writer block?
A: Always. It’s always a repeating cycle of doing well good, and doing not so well. Making an album is like putting a puzzle together. Finding the right pieces at the right time can be a challenge. There is nothing that give a greater feeling of accomplishment than when we’ve completed album that paints the picture we want to share.
‘Summer Love’ & ‘Rum and Coka Cola’
MyTeen was in the SoundK studio for You Who Came from the Stars with DJ Leah. MyTeen (마이틴) is a boy band that debuted in 2017 under The Music Works (더뮤직웍스).
Eunsu (은수) – Leader, Rapper
Chunjin (천진) – Vocalist, Dancer
Taevin (태빈) – Rapper
Xiheon (시헌) – Vocalist
Junseop (준섭) – Rapper
Yuvin (유빈) – Vocalist
Hanseul (한슬) – Maknae, Rapper
– The average age for the group is 19.
– Taevin and Hanseul speak almost fluent English.
– Yuvin was on an audition program.
– Xiheon was born in a very famous hospital in Gangnam.
– Junseop like corn snacks.
Chunjin likes watching movies.
– They paid attention to their airport fashion when going to their fan meeting in China.
– Xiheon is afraid of insects and the dark.
– All the members are afraid of insects.
– Their role model is 신화 (Shinhwa).
– The troublemaker of the group is Junseop, because it’s very hard to wake him up in the morning.
– Yuvin has orange slippers, and has had since 7th grade, and he still wears them.
– Taevin was considered a kid genius for 6 six years, because his IQ was 142 when he was little.
– Chunjin likes 제육볶음 (Jeyukbokkeum / spicy pork stir-fry), but he’s not good at eating spicy foods, but 제육볶음 is okay.
– Hanseul and Yuvin both wanted to play baseball, and sometimes they will go out together and play.
– Chunjin was really into the H brand which were the shoes with wheels that all the cool kids had.
– There is a popular corny saying that involves 짜장면. 짜장면 is a Korean-Chinese ramen and pork dish that is typically eaten when you’re bored.
– 짜장면 is the name of their song for the fans.
– Yuvin and a friend were in a competition and won 500 Won.
Q & A::
Q: What does the name mean?
A: The name is MyTeen because they are going to take charges of the teens. Even when their older, and listeners hear their music it will ‘make you (into a) teenager.’
Q: Are there any pre-debut episodes that you remember?
A: They learned to not go in water in the winter time, because they were so cold the managers had to piggie back them to their next destination.
Q: Have you thought about having a fan-club?
A: They want to form a fan-club with the name Manhitu (**might be spelled wrong**), meaning they want to take care of their fans without them knowing.
Q: Do you feel that you are famous?
A: Hanseul says they can’t hear their music at performances, because the fans are so loud. They are just basking in their new found fame.
Weareyoung was in the SuperKpop studio for Kpop Rising with DJ Sam. Weareyoung (위아영) is a male duo group that debuted in 2017 under MyMusic (엠와이뮤직).
Kyungmin (경민) – Vocalist, Pianist
Kihoon (기훈) – Maknae, Vocalist, Guitarist
– They don’t know how their group name will change when they are in their 40s or 50s. DJ Sam suggested WeAreOld.
– They do use the vlive app a lot.
– The cry baby of the group is Kihoon according to Kyungmin.
– Kihoon wants to go to Spain one day.
– Kyungmin has been listening to Jamie Foxx, because he likes the way Jamie’s voice rides the rhythm.
– Kihoon first guitar was a present that he received in his third year of middle school, and he has been playing ever since.
– Kyungmin learned to play drums in church.
– Kyungmin likes to cook, and considers himself good at making Korean soups and stews.
– Kihoon says his talent is making people angry.
– Kyungmin has a cat, but when asked if he prefers cats or dogs he said dogs.
– They prefers walking to running, because when you run things go by too fast.
– They would both like to have small cute cars.
– Kyungmin wanted to be Spiderman, Kihoon wanted to be Superman.
– Kihoon won the impromptu high note battle.
– Kihoon favorite food is pig backbone stew.
Q & A::
Q: Why the name 위아영 (WeAreYoung)?
A: In the scenes they perform in be it kpop or indie they are very young. They also wanted to keep the feeling very pure (fresh, innocent, and young).
Q: How did you meet?
A: They met in university during orientation they joined the same music club and met each at club meetings.
그래 그러자 (That’s Alright) & 다만 널 사랑하고 있어 (Only I Love You)