September 12, 2013
Spica paid a visit to the SoundK studio for AN’R with DJ SeeAn. Spica (스피카) is a five member idol group that debuted in 2012 under B2M Entertainment.
BoA (보아) – Leader, vocal
Narae (나래) – Vocal
Bohyung (보형) – Maknae, vocal
Jiwon (지원) – Vocal, visual
Joohyun (주현) – Rapper, vocal
– BoA was Infinite’s former vocal coach
– Jiwon is a former member of T-ara and Five Girls
– Bohyung is a former YG and JYP trainee
– BoA is a former LOEN Entertainment trainee
– They feel like they’ve been reborn in the style of Lee Hyori
– Narae practices facial expressions before going on stage
– Bohyung gets inspiration from unique things, nature, and stickers
– BoA practipated in the writing process of Tonight
– Narae doesn’t know how to use a computer to make music
– Narae has written some ballads on the piano
Q & A::
Q: How do you want people to see Spica?
A: As healing idols and vocal idols. They want to heal and cheer people through music.
Q: What do you do during your free time?
A: Eat, sleep, be with friend, watch mouse, and browse the Internet.
Q: How do you overcome the shyness of performing in front of others?
A: According to Jiwon to get over that shyness you actually have to go perform in front of someone. Just do you best. Receiving praise from the audience helps to get rid of the shyness.
Q: Future plans?
A: To become even more busy, and that more people will know Spica.
South Carnival was in the Super Kpop studio for Kpop Rising with DJ Sam Carter. South Carnival (사우스 카니발) is a 9 member Ska band from Jeju Island. They debuted in 2009 and aree under Rudie System entertainment company.
Kyunghwan (강경환) – Leader, vocal, trumpet
Jiwon (석지원) – Drum
Hyemi (이혜미) – Keyboard
Taehyun (강태현) – Guitar
Kyunghyun (고경현) – Percussion
Gunho (김건호) – Trumbone
Yugyoonn (신유균) – Alto Saxophone
Yongmun (이용문) – Tenor Saxophone
Sujin (고수진) – Bass
About the music:
Their music is generally in the reggae, ska, ska punk genres. They make island music with reggae and samba influences with the uniquely Jeju way of speaking. Some of their songs are hard for some Koreans to understand because Jeju has it’s own accent, and way of speaking that some Koreans are not used to. The song 고리봐야 (a more child) is a about a mother from Jeju talking to her child, and it has an Afro-Cuba sound.
– They were the opening act for Arirang’s 10 Anniversary Concert (2013)
– If Kyunghwan was a sea creature he would be a pink dolphin and look out for all the other sea animals
– They would like to be on Saturday Night Live USA, and would practice their english if they were called
– They practice 4 hrs a day, & they always practice at night, & if they have an upcoming gig they practice for 8 hrs
Q & A::
Q: Where did the name South Carnival come from?
A: Originally they were called Socialism Band but that name was too dark, and didn’t fit their sound or personalities very well. One day they decided to change it to something that was fun, fresh, and energetic like a carnival that traveled around Jeju sharing lively music. That is how they decided on South Carnival.
Q: What are the advantages and disadvantages of having so many members?
A: The advantage is that when they travel they can arrange themselves quickly . The disadvantage is that when they go out to eat the bill is very expensive.
Q: If you were to do a collaboration who would you pick?
A: Skalite, an older generation Ska band whose members are slowly dying out. They would really like to just meet them even if they don’t get to do a collaboration.
Q: What are your future plans?
A: They want to build they reputation slowly adn continue making music for years. They don’t consider themselves a Jeju band. They think of themselves as a Korean band that lives in Jeju. They want to represent Korea on a global scale.
바당이나꺼여 (Sea of Owner) & 고리봐야 (a more child)