Oriental Showcus was in the SuperKpop studio for Kpop Rising with DJ Sam. Oriental Showcus (오리엔탈 쇼커스) is a co-ed band that debuted in 2014 under Ruby Record (루비레코드).
Chulho (장철호) – Bassist
Hyunkyung (김현경) – Trombone, Keyboardist
Youngkwang (한영광) – Saxophonist
Jinsung (조진성) – Guitarist
Kiwon (김기원) – Drummer
Gre (김그레) – Vocalist
– When making music two or three people will write the song and lyrics and bring to the group. Then as a group they have practice sessions where they create demos, and then go from there.
– They would like to do a world tour and finish it in Korea.
– They all met as friends of a friend of a friend. Chulho, Hyunkyung, and Youngkwang were they original members and then Gre, Kiwon, and Jinsung joined later.
– Kiwon is the most sensitive according to the members, but he doesn’t agree.
– Chulho would like to work with a hip-hop artist, specifically BY a rapper from ‘Show Me the Money’.
– Kiwon can almost always be found with coffee in hand. If its a hot day he can’t eat red foods. Plus he has issues with spicy foods.
Q & A::
Q: Please explain you team name, Oriental Showcus?
A: They have an oriental feel with a blend show and circus when they perform.
Q: How was it going from a 7 member group to a 6 member group?
A: They had the think about how to change their sound, now that the member who played the brass instruments is no longer with the group. Since the brass was such a big part of their sound, they had to have a long think about how to adapt their sound to the change.
Q: What are your promotion plans?
A: They have lots of festivals coming up to promote their current album. They are working to release another album next year.
What Happened? & Swing With Me
The Barberettes were in the SuperKpop studio for Kpop Rising with DJ Sam. The Barberettes (바버렛츠) is a retro doo-wop indie trio that debuted in 2012 under Eggplant (에그플랜트).
Shinae (안신애 Wheeler) – Leader, Producer, Guitarist, Vocalist
Sunni (이선니) – Vocalist, Violinist, Flutist
Sohee (박소희) – Maknae, Vocalist, Pianist
– ‘Summer Love’ is a very cute, light and airy song.
– Shinae speaks almost fluent English. She is often translating for the members at interviews and such.
– ‘Shoo’ on the Barberettes Summer is written about Kang Daniel in Produce 101 when he had pink hair. Shinae fan girls very hard for him.
– Pizza is high on their list of favorite foods.
– Shinae eats the most. Currently her favorite food is Pho (Vietnamese noodle dish). Her favorite food changes frequently.
– When they first start the album process they have writing sessions. Sometimes they start from scratch with the piano all together. Sometimes Shinae writes the song and then they discuss the lyrics.
– International artist they would like to collaborate with Michael Buble, Bruno Mars, and any female performer from the 60s.
– Sunni like running and yoga. Shinae admires sports (watching others do sports).
Q & A::
Q: Can you please tell us about your tour?
A: They just cme back from an international tour which was split into 2 parts. The first part of the tour was US, England, Rome, Italy, Paris and other locations, and the second part of the tour was in Spain, and five different cities in France.
Q: Why did you pick the name Barberettes?
A: They wanted to practice the barber shop harmony. They put “ettes” to blend in with other groups from that time period. Also when females work at barber shops they are called Barberettes.
Q: Do you ever get writer block?
A: Always. It’s always a repeating cycle of doing well good, and doing not so well. Making an album is like putting a puzzle together. Finding the right pieces at the right time can be a challenge. There is nothing that give a greater feeling of accomplishment than when we’ve completed album that paints the picture we want to share.
‘Summer Love’ & ‘Rum and Coka Cola’
Weareyoung was in the SuperKpop studio for Kpop Rising with DJ Sam. Weareyoung (위아영) is a male duo group that debuted in 2017 under MyMusic (엠와이뮤직).
Kyungmin (경민) – Vocalist, Pianist
Kihoon (기훈) – Maknae, Vocalist, Guitarist
– They don’t know how their group name will change when they are in their 40s or 50s. DJ Sam suggested WeAreOld.
– They do use the vlive app a lot.
– The cry baby of the group is Kihoon according to Kyungmin.
– Kihoon wants to go to Spain one day.
– Kyungmin has been listening to Jamie Foxx, because he likes the way Jamie’s voice rides the rhythm.
– Kihoon first guitar was a present that he received in his third year of middle school, and he has been playing ever since.
– Kyungmin learned to play drums in church.
– Kyungmin likes to cook, and considers himself good at making Korean soups and stews.
– Kihoon says his talent is making people angry.
– Kyungmin has a cat, but when asked if he prefers cats or dogs he said dogs.
– They prefers walking to running, because when you run things go by too fast.
– They would both like to have small cute cars.
– Kyungmin wanted to be Spiderman, Kihoon wanted to be Superman.
– Kihoon won the impromptu high note battle.
– Kihoon favorite food is pig backbone stew.
Q & A::
Q: Why the name 위아영 (WeAreYoung)?
A: In the scenes they perform in be it kpop or indie they are very young. They also wanted to keep the feeling very pure (fresh, innocent, and young).
Q: How did you meet?
A: They met in university during orientation they joined the same music club and met each at club meetings.
그래 그러자 (That’s Alright) & 다만 널 사랑하고 있어 (Only I Love You)
Mind U was in the SuperKpop studio for Kpop Rising with DJ Sam. Mind U (마인드유) is a male duo group that debuted in 2013 under Starship Entertainment (스타쉽 엔터테인먼트).
Jae Hee (재희) – Vocalist
Ko Dak (고닥) – Producing
– This is actually their second debut. They previously debuted under the name 어쿠루브 in 2013.
– The album has four tracks, three of which were done originally as 어쿠루브 and we’re brought over to the new album.
– After a hard day listening to healing songs helps Kodak feel better. Jaehee would go home and just relax.
– They are very much home bodies.
– Jaehee doesn’t watch a lot of TV, but he watches Radio Star every week.
– They like cakes superficially cheesecake, and chocolate cake.
– Jaehee doesn’t like the heat of summer, and Kodak doesn’t like the cold of winter.
– They like busking but they like concerts better because it’s their fans that have come to see them, and not just strangers stopping on the street.
– Kodak recently bought a bag, because he kept losing things when just carrying them around. Before that he would put his stuff in Jaehee’s bag.
– Jaehee’s bag was described as a magicians bag, because it’s full of stuff such a phone and charger, medicine, and a device for making the air around him more moist.
– They like very spicy foods, and they can eat anything. At restaurants they tend to go for the foods with the strongest spice level. They haven’t come across anything too spicy yet.
Q & A::
Q: Why did you choose the name Mind U?
A: In a soft way it means thinking about you. With every song they are thinking about someone and singing to them.
Q: What is your ideal type?
A: Kodak – someone he connects well with, and under 170 cm. Any taller and he thinks of them as friends, because his sister is over 170 cm.
사랑해줘요 (Love Me) & 그게 뭐라고 (What Was That)